Canada Student Visa : How To Apply
It’s no coincidence that you are interested in knowing about Canada Student VISA and how to apply. This is because, over the years, a lot of people are interested in this subject.
Canada Student Visa is basically for people looking to study in Canada. If you are looking to do something else like work in Canada or Visit Canada, we recommend checking out other ways to migrate to Canada.
Having said that, to be able to study in Canada, you basically need to obtain a Canadian study permit or Canada Student VISA, whichever you choose to call it. Thankfully, we have a detailed guide on how to obtain a Canadian study permit. While this is deemed necessary, there are cases where it won’t be necessary. For example, if the course you want to study for is less than 6 months or if the study duration is less than 6 months.
Regardless of whether it’s necessary for you to have it or not, it’s usually a plus and usually recommended that you have it. It’s deemed important for you to get the Canada study permit before moving to Canada.
Why? You may ask. Great! The reason is, should you decide to pursue your studies in a different program while in Canada, you will be served with the responsibility of having to leave Canada just to go get that. Thinking about it, it doesn’t sound like a good plan, right?
Another interesting thing about having the Canada study permit is, should you have obtained the permit before moving to Canada and it expires during your stay there, you can renew it there in Canada. You don’t have to return to your home country for that.
For full time students registered at accredited Higher institution, this permit allows you work with your school. Asides that, you can also work off-campus. Even more, you can work as an intern in a firm as long as it relates to your major course of study.
Another interesting need for the Canada study permit is that it can help you stay back in Canada after your studies thus giving you the liberty to apply for permanent residency.
Having said all that, let’s look at the application process for Canadian study Permit and what you should know regarding that.
Canadian Study Permit Application Process
There are basically two ways through which you can apply for the Canadian study permit.
You can apply for Canada study permit by;
- Applying online
- Physical paper application
More details on this is available on the CIC website which is the Canada Citizenship and Immigration Website.
Usually, applying online is faster. You basically need your credit/debit card for online payments. You’d also need electronic copies of the required documents.
Details on the documents required will be communicated to you in the immigration office in your country. Reason is, the documents required varies depending on the country you reside in.
How To Obtain Canada Student VISA
There are a couple of steps that you are to take to be able to obtain your Canada Student visa and we’d like to share them with you here.
1. The most important and the very first step is to get a formal letter of acceptance from a recognised higher institution in Canada. If you are looking to study in Quebec, A certificate of Acceptance also known as CAQ is required and must be issued to the student by the government. Thankfully, these requirements can be gotten online.
2. Having obtained a formal letter of acceptance and maybe, the CAQ, you will need to get the Canadian student Visa application package. You can get that on the CIC website. Alternatively, although not recommended, you can choose to visit a Canadian Visa office or Canadian embassy in your country to apply in person. The reason why the second option isn’t often recommended is because it takes longer time and can be energy consuming.
3. The third step is eligibility. On the CIC website, you will be asked a few bio-data questions. These questions will help determine whether or not, you are eligible for the Canada Student VISA application package. We advise that you answer them correctly in order to obtain your Canada Student visa application package. We strongly advise that you do NOT enter wrong information during this process.
4. If found eligible, you will receive the personal checklist code which is valid for 60 days. You will be needing this code when submitting your application online. We recommend that you print out the page containing the code and also have a soft copy of it for the sake of referencing, if necessary.
On that same page, you’d find a detailed application guide, the list of important documents you will need to submit, as well as an estimated tuition fee.
5. Create a MyCIC account when ready to apply. This account will house your personal checklist code that was supplied to you in the previous step above. You will also receive your personal document checklist. This allows you upload and send your documents to CIC.
6. Submit your application to CIC. Doing this, we are assuming you are submitting your application online. So, before you submit, please make sure that all your documents are ready, valid and that you’ve also made all necessary fees. Please confirm that all is in order and thereafter, submit.
7. You may and may not be invited for an interview in the visa office in your country. This depends on a number of factors including country of residence.
What Next After Applying?
The next step is to wait. Now, if your application is approved, you’ll receive a port of entry (POE) letter of introduction. Students from countries which require an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) and/or a temporary Residence visa will also be issued these if required.
Please note that the eTA will be linked to your passport. Also note that the eTA will be valid for 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
All necessary documents alongside your passport, proof of finances, letter of acceptance should be presented at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) in Canada. It is with these, you will be issued Canadian study permit and also access into Canada.
We wish you all the very best as you apply for Canada Student Visa.